Sunday, June 6, 2021

Tech Ramblings: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 3 Review

 

No more RGB, but this thing matches my graphics card better.

My computer was noisy as hell, due to my MSI 5700 xt Evoke OC, which was overclocked and overvolted, and my Wraith Prism CPU cooler, which came stock with my Ryzen 3700x. Modding the Evoke and undervolting/underclocking fixed its noise problems, but the Prism still remained. I purchased a Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 3 to replace it, mostly because it was affordable and well-reviewed. Well, I don't have thermals or any of that stuff to compare it to the Prism; I think it keeps it a couple degrees cooler, but the Prism was always sufficient at that job. It is, however, almost completely silent. Now that I have the Evoke's fan speed locked at 55 percent, gaming is a far less noisy pursuit than it was before. The Prism had configurable RGB lights that I could sync with my Razor keyboard, and my son was disappointed that the pretty fan was gone. However, the Shadow Rock's black and chrome looks go better with the Evoke, and RGB quickly lost its novelty for me. So yeah, this is a nice replacement. It's keeping my 3700x at around 46 degrees Celsius, which is pretty cool for my 23 degree Celsius room.

The urge to constantly tinker with my system has become a hobby unto itself. Future upgrades will likely include a NVMe drive, maybe another 16 gigs of ram, and a new graphics card probably a year or two out, assuming that things ever get back to normal. My motherboard is an x570, so I could always put a more powerful CPU in there, at least until AMD switches to AM5. There's no reason to upgrade right now. I don't have a performance reason, despite what the internet might say, and the current hardware shortage is insane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  A scuzzy garage-rocker with lyrics referencing some ho-down in the post-apocalyptic wastes. I think this shit's catchy! It's catch...