Sunday, June 13, 2021

My Five Year-Old Broke My Monitor: Acer VG252Q Review

 

My oldest child tossed a toy at my MSI MAG272QR 27 inch 1440p 165 Hz monitor(Jesus that's a lot to type), damaging the crystals beneath and resulting in about half of the screen displaying a black space streaked with the color spectrum. Needless to say, I was pissed. A quick drive to Walmart resulted in my buying an Acer VG252Q 24 inch 1080p 240 Hz monitor as a replacement. Walmart is the only game in town, and the Acer was the best monitor they had that wasn't a 4k screen that would require a supercomputer to game on. The VG252Q is G-Sync monitor; it works fine with my AMD 5700 xt. As for the 240 Hz refresh rate, I can't really test it out, because I don't play anything that runs that fast on my computer. Downgrading to 1080p is very noticeable, however, especially in general desktop usage. Gaming wise, I can turn everything up to High in Control and Ultra in Red Dead Redemption 2, which helps offset the lowered pixel count. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about upgrading my graphics card in a year or two--the 5700 xt is a beast at 1080p. Yet I'm missing those extra three inches of screen space, as well as the general clarity 1440p provides. Nevertheless, I do notice the more accurate color reproduction of the Acer's IPS panel--my old MSI monitor was a VA panel, and colors often looked washed out. 

In short, 1440p is noticeably better than 1080p; however, being able to turn up the graphics settings helps. I like this Acer, but I miss my MSI MAG.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conan Brothers Q&A

  RedditUser1324 asks "WTF am I even doing? I spend all my time consuming vapid content on social media platforms while my own creative...