Wednesday, June 23, 2021

MSi Optix MAG27CQ Review

 

"What the hell?" you might be asking. Didn't I just buy a new monitor to replace my MSI Optix MAG272QR? Yeah, you are right, I impulsively purchased an Acer Nitro VG 252Q from Walmart for the rather expensive amount of 260 bucks. The Acer's 240 Hz refresh rate sure is nice, but what I couldn't get used to was the downgrade in resolution from 2560 by 1440 to 1920 by 1080. Everything looked blurry. As far as gaming goes, graphically intensive games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Control appeared grainy and last-gen, like games from the 360 era. Thankfully, the corporate dystopia that we live in gave me an excellent opportunity to upgrade by way of Prime Day. Newegg was running a competing sale, and I snagged the MSI Optix MAG27CQ, a very similar panel to the one my five-year old ruined. It's a VA panel at 27 inches, equipped with Freesync and a 144 Hz refresh rate. The curve is pretty sweet; that's pretty much the only real difference I've noticed between the MAG27CQ and my old MAG272QR. Well, there's a difference of 16 Hz between refresh rates, but I don't think anyone can notice the difference between 165 Hz and 144 Hz. This is a great panel for the low price of 250 dollars (with tax). Unfortunately I don't have the box or receipt for my Acer, so I'm going to have to take a hit and sell it. Anyway, if you play single player games primarily for atmosphere and immersion, don't let anyone tell you that 1440p isn't much of an upgrade over 1080p. It's actually an increase in pixel density of 78 percent! Red Dead 2 looks amazing again, and so does everything else I play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bad Poetry: The Internet

  It's important to remember  That the Internet isn't real It's just An endless collection Of ones and zeros streaming through  ...