Friday, June 11, 2021

Control First Impressions

 

Control is currently free from the Epic Games store until the 17, and if you're a fan of atmospheric third-person shooters, I recommend picking it up. You play as Jesse Faden, a young women drawn to the Oldest House, the base of an inter-dimensional quasi-government entity known as the Federal Bureau of Control. When Jesse arrives, the Oldest House has been taken over by a malicious entity known as the Hiss, and she soon becomes Director through a pretty cool sequence of events. Control is dripping with Lovecraftian menace, and it's obvious that the X-Files is another big thematic influence. It's weird, and pretty fun. Jesse has a regenerating pistol that's an Object of Power, and she soon obtains the ability to telepathically throw objects at her enemies, which is a blast. The Brutalist architecture of the Oldest House is unique, and you really get the sense of being stuck in a vast labyrinth. My only complaint so far is that this game is a beast to run. On my solidly mid-range Ryzen 7 3700x/5700 xt build, I'm hovering under 60 frames per second at High settings and 1440p. Medium settings boosts the framerate considerably, but I recommend keeping those extra graphics settings and playing with a gamepad, which feels better. I'll do a full review when I've completed the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  A scuzzy garage-rocker with lyrics referencing some ho-down in the post-apocalyptic wastes. I think this shit's catchy! It's catch...