Sunday, July 19, 2020

Weightlifting: Steady Progress

The Rock has made steady progress for like forty years.

For the last three months, I've been doing block periodization based on the Juggernaut Method. This isn't the most exciting way to train, but a microcycle only lasts three weeks, so after six weeks you're hitting somewhat heavy weights again. I've hit a few PRs (Benched 225 for 12 and 240 for 9, high bar squatted 275 for 13) but most importantly, I've kept progressing while not injuring myself. In fact, this is probably the healthiest I've been in the eight or so years I've been lifting. I've learned that the squat needs to be tight all the way down and up; that the bench press demands tucked shoulder blades and a decent arch; and that deadlifting for volume brings results. My four workouts per week seldom take more than an hour, as I keep assistance work to the minimum. Rows, pullups, arms, and close grip bench press for 3 to 5 sets of ten on upper body days; high bar squats, leg raises, log lifts, and paused squats for lower body days. Log lifts are fun. We had a giant tree fall down at my work, so I sawed it up and took one of the biggest logs back to my garage gym. I weighed it at 177 lbs on a bathroom scale. Who knows how accurate that is, but I have fun picking it up and holding it for a count of ten before throwing it as far as I can. Who needs stones when you have giant logs? It feels like a front squat from the bottom, and I do it on my deadlift day. As for deadlifts, I've focused on doing a lot of sets with just double overhand grip, which has made my forearms strong as hell. After next week, I think I'll do a brief two week peak and see if I set any new one rep maxes.

In an additional note, the used weights market is ridiculous right now, due to people building their own gyms because of the coronavirus. A buddy and I went to a used sporting goods store, and there was no weights available other than brand new dumbbells marked up to exorbitant prices. I'm not saying you should join a gym right now, but if you have some weights, you might be better off doing high rep sets for a while until you can find a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conan Brothers Q&A

  RedditUser1324 asks "WTF am I even doing? I spend all my time consuming vapid content on social media platforms while my own creative...