Thursday, May 27, 2021

Writer's Block: The Boys


Teasey wakes up and demands his biscuits

The milk must be poured just so

The water must be half-filled with ice

and if any of it is wrong

There will be holy hell to pay.

Outside later Harrison flips cicadas

and carries them on a stick to safety.

If Teasey catches one, they are dead

Their little husks brittle and oozing

in-between his tiny hands.

At the grocery store he scatters a whole carton of blueberries.

I make Harrison wait on a bench so that his sticky fingers

do not adhere to any chocolate bars in the checkout aisle.

"I'm a fire engine, I'm a rat in a cage,

I'm a tongue singing without a mouth," sings my eldest.

Together they scream as loudly as they can

while tearing my couch to pieces.

I let them wail on me,

little fists of rage, eyes eager and mouths grinning

hopelessly toothy grins of malice.

What joy there is in watching these monsters grow.

What have I unleashed upon the world?

You cannot convince me that the world does not deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conan Brothers Q&A

  RedditUser1324 asks "WTF am I even doing? I spend all my time consuming vapid content on social media platforms while my own creative...