Thursday, September 10, 2020

Weightlifting: Pec Strain

 

I've had pec inflammation for months, ever since benching 315 way back in the spring. I've trained through it, given it a break, went on strong anti-inflammatories, but the pain has persisted, and after two trips to the doctor, I think I just need a break. My left lat seems to be involved somehow; stopping all pulling along with pressing has finally decreased my inflammation. I'm thinking it's my pec tendon, but hell, what do I know? It's an insidious, chronic ache that comes and goes. Never hurts during the night or when I wake up; movement of my left arm is what starts it. Anyways, I've decided to focus on my squat while giving this injury time to heal. What I've been able to do for my upper body is the following:

Curls

Lateral raises

Triceps kickbacks

And that's it. Even overhead pressing seems to irritate it. For my squat training, I'm doing quite the variety, including front squats, low-bar squats, paused high bar squats, partial squats (very fun, due to the high weights involved), and zercher lockouts, the latter of which seem to carry over to the deadlift without loading my left lat (lats are involved in the deadlift; I think I strained my left one rack pulling 525 lbs). I'm thirty-five years old, and although I likely have many years of productive training left, the approach of middle-age is likely affecting my recovery. I can't drink a case of beer and train through an adductor strain like I might have ten years ago. It sucks that my bench progress has to stall, but I really can't afford a torn pec tendon, which would put me out of action for months while also costing a pretty penny. You can't progress without pushing yourself, but serious injuries are not worth it. Just something to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Video Game Review: Evil West

  Evil West is a western-themed horror shooter by Polish developers Flying Hog, who are known mostly for their reboot of the Shadow Warrior ...