Tuesday, January 31, 2023

I Finally Finished Elden Ring

 

I'm gonna take a knee, this took a while.

-109 hours total spent on my playthrough. That puts it just under Dark Souls at 115. This was a really long game, but it maintained its quality throughout, although Crumbling Farum Azula was such a hard-ass slog.

-Elden Ring has the exact same plot as Dark Souls. The old order of gods is crumbling; the magic force that held the world together is broken and in the hands of degenerate lords; only an undead warrior can fix it all. All the lore is buried in item descriptions and cryptic lines. What it has on Dark Souls is scope and accessibility. Spirit ashes help mitigate boss difficulty, along with the ridiculous amount of build combinations one can achieve. It's amazing how far a good combat system will take a game.

-Some of these bosses were definitely designed for summoned play. That second phase of the Beast Clergyman , where he reveals that he's Maliketh? His endless combos don't give you enough time to hit him. I spent more time chasing the Elden Beast than fighting him, but thankfully, I'd summoned two sorcerers who were able to complement my melee faith/dex build.

-My favorite boss fights were probably Godfrey and Maliketh. Least favorite were the Fire Giant and that goddamn Draconic Tree Sentinel before Maliketh, which wasn't even a boss. I probably died to that bastard ten times before me and a summoned managed to kill him (I even died during this).

-Did George R. R. Martin have anything to do with this, really? Considering Elden Ring has the same basic plot of every From Soft Souls game, I don't see much of his work anywhere.

-Why can't From Soft figure out that if you're fighting a giant enemy, then you're really fighting the camera? Most games would have the camera pan out, enabling you to actually see what the titan you're attempting to slay is doing, thereby enabling you to dodge. It's funny how they add modern open-world conveniences like fast travel and a steed, but can't grasp the need for an improved camera.

-I've started another playthrough with a intelligence/strength build, but I'm not sure if I'll come back to it. Elden Ring is a fantastic first experience, but one-hundred hours is a long time to spend on a video game. Deadspace Remastered awaits (I never played the first one).

Screens below:









 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Video Game Review: Evil West

  Evil West is a western-themed horror shooter by Polish developers Flying Hog, who are known mostly for their reboot of the Shadow Warrior ...