Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Weightlifting: Goals for the Rest of 2019

I googled "goals are stupid" and this pic came up, so I had to use it.

We have exactly two and a half months before 2019 goes the way of the dinosaurs, so I thought I'd kick myself in the ass a bit and set a few goals to hit in the weightlifting arena. I've had a decent year pumping iron (360 lbs squat for five reps) despite suffering another SI joint injury. Recently I've been hammering away on my bench while trying to build back my lower body strength, and this upper body focus has had a great effect on my physique (You're just going to have to take my word for it, internet; my wife has forbidden any posting of naked pics). So my first two goals are pressing numbers I want to hit, while my last is a bulking goal.

Numero uno: Bench Press 315 lbs. My best bench is 300 lbs, which I hit about two years ago. Recently, I've pressed 255 for five reps and 275 for three. Last Sunday, I did a close grip bench with 275, which went up like nothing. So I know I'm hovering around 300 right now. My strategy is to press four times a week, rotating the following lifts: Incline bench press (low angle), military press, close grip bench press, and wide grip bench press. Reps and sets don't really matter--we're going to keep the reps low and the intensity high in order to get that extra fifteen pounds. I think if I hit 275 for five, then I'll be able to press 315.

Numero dos: Military Press 200 lbs. My best strict press is 195 lbs. So what's a measly five pounds, right? Man, the press goes up so damn slowly. I hit 195 last year, and the year before I hit 190, so I'm progressing at a rate of five pounds per year. Adding another strict press day is about the only thing I think will help, so I'll probably do that after benching on Saturday, my last press day.

Numero tres: Gain ten pounds. I weighed in this morning at 195 lbs. I've weighed 205 before, but I was much fatter than I am now, and I'd like to add quality weight, not blubber, so I need to eat more good food. I'll do this by making breakfast a bigger meal and making sure to eat at least five meals a day. The extra food needs to be protein not carbs, so I'll double down on Greek yogurt and eggs rather than junk like cereal.

 

Lee Priest had a reputation for dirty bulking in the offseason, but he honestly doesn't look that fat in the first picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Video Game Review: Evil West

  Evil West is a western-themed horror shooter by Polish developers Flying Hog, who are known mostly for their reboot of the Shadow Warrior ...