Monday, September 18, 2023

Bad Poetry, Forever


Never read it.

 

To a Woman

How do you describe

the feeling

of seeing a memory transform

into a person

as old and weathered 

as you are?

In my head

You are forever

Sixteen.

I don't feel sixteen;

I feel the cloudy haze

of collapsed memory

of time reconstructed

into palatable forms.

Seeing is not 

Just believing.

It is being

and we often forget

how to be.

 

To My Old Dogs 

I love you guys,

You mangy mutts,

You incorrigible old consumers of 

the inedible.

Over the years

You've eaten socks,

Asian pears,

Lego bricks,

A latex glove,

Carrots from my garden,

and a condom found in the park.

I used to have to steer Lily through the neighborhood

Like a rabid tiger,

Always looking over my shoulder

For other pitbulls.

I remember trying to walk you in Cincinnati

When in was negative fifteen outside

And how the snow formed on Napoleon's feet

in icy slivers.

I remember Lily barking out the window

At the homeless man

When we drove to Vermont,

I recall how Po foamed at the mouth

as a pup

because I let a little girl watch him 

for a hot minute.

You once fit in a box,

You old goat.

Lily had muscles

like a bull

But now she is a bony ghoul

Who gets stuck under the table

Or beneath the fence.

Her head sags and her eye

bleeds,

And I am left with a gaping hole

Where my young dogs used to be.

Am I being patient

Or am I not letting go?

Why must the responsibility

Lie with me?

I guess I always was the one

Who took you on walks.

May we walk forever

In the netherworld

Bound not by the conventions

Of memory

Or time.

I love 

Both of you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writer's Block: The Mid-life Crisis of the Last Human-Being on Earth

  I have the sudden desire to get back into long-form writing, and The Mid-life Crisis of the Last Human- Being on Earth is my working title...