Sunday, February 7, 2021

Weightlifting: Three Ways to Push Press

 

Due to chronic pain in my right shoulder, I've momentarily swapped out strict presses for push presses, which is fine, really, because my strict press wasn't going anywhere, and my push press seems to be moving pretty nicely. There are three ways that I push press, usually all in the same workout, and although the differences are minor between each variation, I thought I'd share my experiences because this is a goddamn blog and what is a blog without needless content? Thus, I elucidate.

First variation: The slight push. This is a push press that is eighty percent upper body. You basically just get the bar moving off your shoulders with a little jolt from the knees. This is an excellent assistance exercise for the strict press. The weights used should be comparable. This is the best push press for upper body development. The little boost at the start somehow bypasses whatever shoulder pain I have while strict pressing.

Second variation: The true push. This is a true push press in that you drive the weight up mainly with your lower body, with your upper body assisting. A great full body exercise, I usually switch to this method after loading the bar with weights that demand a little more leg assistance. Best used as a full body exercise.

Third variation: The push jerk. Now all we care about is moving the most weight overhead that we can. Drive the weight off your shoulders with your lower body, then dip slightly to catch it past the midway point, and then lock it out with a tiny press. It's that dip that differentiates the push jerk from a push press. I did it instinctively, and I think it's just a natural reaction when you are attempting to push weights overhead that you can't with any other method.

And that's all I got to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Video Game Review: Evil West

  Evil West is a western-themed horror shooter by Polish developers Flying Hog, who are known mostly for their reboot of the Shadow Warrior ...