Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Squatting Every Day Part 2: 100 Days of Squatting


I posted about squatting every day back in the summer, with the intention of actually performing an every day squat workout and reporting back on the results. Unfortunately, my squat form sucked; I developed hip pain and my knees felt like shit, and like a puss, I abandoned my plan after less than two weeks. Since then, my squat form has improved drastically, and after hitting 380 at a weight of 195, I've decided to give every day squatting another run. My biggest mistake last time was tackling this type of training without perfect form; my second mistake was starting out too heavy while pushing volume too fast. Squatting to a max is actually squatting to an everyday max--that is, a weight you can perform with perfect form and no grinding. I've been squatting every day for fifteen days, and I have to say, it is already working. The key is to push on good days and back off on bad days. Mixing squats is a good idea, too. I alternate high bar squats with front squats, with an occasional low bar day in there as well. I've also been alternating pulling work with pushing work every day. Below is an example of what I've been doing weekly:

Sunday: High bar squat to a max, back off set of three. Bench Press using a pyramid scheme.

Monday: Front squat to a max, back off set if feeling good. Deadlift using a pyramid scheme to a heavy double or triple.

Tuesday: High bar squat to a max. Bench press or overhead press using whatever rep/set pattern I prefer.

Wednesday: Front squat to a max, back off sets. Do barbell rows for sets of 10, followed by dumbbell curls.

Thursday: Low bar squat to a heavy max. Bench press. Triceps extensions for sets of ten.

Friday: Front squat. Do more or less depending on feel. Power clean to a heavy single.

Saturday: High bar squat. Heavy triple with back off sets. Bench or press.

So that's a lot of volume, so suffice it to say this isn't something somebody with limited time could hope to do. I have the privilege to be getting eight hours of sleep a night as well. I have my own weights and equipment. Dragging your ass to the gym every day would suck. But I feel great right now. I deadlifted 415 for a triple the other day and it was easy as hell. 315 feels like a light weight. I'm going to cram two years worth of training into 100 days. I'll report back with my progress.

Addendum: So why would anyone want to do this? Obviously, you have to care a great deal out your strength. For me, it has something to do with being the best possible version of myself. It's about pushing the limits, something that I haven't always done. So it's a personal quest, of sorts. I don't expect it to make sense to many people.

One more thing: I've been doing an extensive warm up with 135 lbs or less for 6 sets of 10 or 8. This helps warm up the soft tissues and prepare the joints for heavy weights. It's key to not getting injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conan Brothers Q&A

  RedditUser1324 asks "WTF am I even doing? I spend all my time consuming vapid content on social media platforms while my own creative...