Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Weightlifting: The Killer Deadlift Routine

Ed Coan, the greatest deadlifter of all time.

In my quest for a 600 lbs deadlift, I believe I have stumbled upon a fool-proof routine guaranteed to put 100 lbs on your deadlift, provided you're not already pulling over 600 lbs. It's a monthly routine designed around incremental progression--you only try to add 10 lbs to your max every month. Keep in mind, that's 120 lbs in a year, which is more progress than I've made since I started lifting. Here we go:
 
Assuming a 500 lbs max
 
Week one: Shock week. I wrote about this workout a little while ago, but here it is again, using percentages, which I never use.
 
Using 67 % of your 1 rep max, perform ten repetitions. So 335 lbs in this case. Rest 30 seconds, then perform another five reps. Continue until you have performed 30 total repetitions with 335 lbs. This is likely a harder workout than you've ever performed with the deadlift, even with the relatively light weight. It'll improve your conditioning and add muscular mass to your frame, as well as acting as a deload when you start the cycle again. Next month, add 10 lbs.

Week two: Moderately heavy deadlift. We're going to be using at least 80 percent of our one rep max for fifteen repetitions. I don't like doing heavy reps with the deadlift because I don't use straps and my hands get beaten up. So I rest 30 seconds in between heavy singles. Start with 82 percent of your one rep max (410 lbs) and perform 5 singles. Add ten pounds (420) and do 5 more singles. Add ten more pounds (430), perform a single, then continuing adding five pounds until you've done four more singles (so 435, 440, 445, 450). Rest around one minute in between sets. I try to do this workout without a lifting belt for added challenge.

Week three: Heavy deadlift. We're going to reduce the volume to 10 reps with 80 percent, but we're pulling doubles now, not singles. You can add a belt if you wish. Start with 410 for 2, then 430 for 2, then add 10 lbs (440 for 2). Add ten lbs for the remaining two sets (450 for 2, 460 for 2). Try to keep your rest time in between sets down.

Week four: One rep max attempt. Now it's showtime. Warm up gradually. 135 lbs for 5, 225 for 3, 315 for 2, 405. Pull about fifty or six pounds less than your max attempt (450 lbs). Then pull a new max (510 lbs).

Don't forget your assistance work. Every week, do heavy barbell rows (I usually do triples, pyramiding up in weight). Also do rack pulls at the end of the week (only 5 singles, but make sure they are heavy) and one arm cleans (I clean my 100 lbs dumbbell for 12 reps as a workout finisher). I also do a lot of light power cleans when I do my pressing workouts, as well as squats twice a week. Everything I just mentioned will help improve your deadlift. But if you stick to the above program, I don't see how you can't make substantial gains utilizing that much volume. Make sure to eat plenty and to sleep at least seven hours a night. Don't go crazy with the drinking either.

The great Herman Goerner, probably one of the strongest men to ever have lived.


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Music: Firefly

  A twelve-year old song that I wrote in Cincinnati. I don't believe it was ever played live, which is a shame, since it's a nice li...