Sunday, May 20, 2018

Weightlifting: 7/5/3/1 and the Best Protein Shake

Is that a protein shake or a sugary treat from Starbucks?

7/5/3/1 is a 5/3/1 variation where for the first week of the cycle, you do 3 sets of 7, with the last set being a 7-plus set. Basically, I took the deload week and added a few reps and sets. For all practical purposes, 5/3/1 is more like 8/6/3 for me, so perhaps this variation should really be 10/8/6/3. Here's an example, for anyone with no clue what I'm talking about.

Front squat one rep max = 300 lbs.

First week: 115*5, 135*5 (warm up), then 155*7 (50% of 1 rpm), 180*7 (60% ), 195*9 (our hypothetical lifter was able to perform two extra reps).

Second week: warm up, 195*5, 200*5, 210*5+ (70%)

Third week: warm up, 200*3, 210*3, 225*3+ (75%)

Last week: warm up, 210*5, 225*3, 245*1+ (80%)

The percentages I'm using are lower than the actual 5/3/1 program, but you're supposed to start conservative and set rep PRs. I also don't like messing with percentages in general--I was an English major and that's too much goddamn math. Also, it doesn't really matter. All that matters is pushing the weights.

I'd like to also share a protein shake recipe that contains no protein powder. Protein powder is expensive and a rip-off, you're probably not getting the advertised amount of protein. Instead of wasting cash, make this delicious shake (Disclaimer: Do not eat raw eggs. I only do so because I have an iron stomach). Without further ado:

In a blender add 4 eggs, 8 ounces of milk, 8 ounces of Greek yogurt, one banana, and a couple strawberries. The result should be around 47 grams of protein, with very little fat. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  A scuzzy garage-rocker with lyrics referencing some ho-down in the post-apocalyptic wastes. I think this shit's catchy! It's catch...