- The Diary of Mitch R. Singer
- Hanging with the Goon
- The Consummate Politician Apologizes
- Rating the WWE's Roster by Their Stench
- The Esteemed Critic's Multiple Sentence Reviews
- Conan Brothers' Q&A
- Theme Park Mistress
- Hillsdale Paranormal Society
- Writer's Block
- Select Farmers Only Profiles
Friday, April 22, 2016
Prince died yesterday. A unique talent, Prince was a genius songwriter and producer who could shred like Van Halen. If any single person defined what it meant to be a rock star, it was the Purple One. Better tributes will be written, so I would just like to share my favorite Prince songs.
1. Purple Rain--The power ballad to end all power ballads.
2. When Doves Cry--Weird, sexy funk with a guitar opening that put Eddie to shame.
3. Darling Nikki--The song that blew Tipper Gore's mind and caused the whole Parental Advisory sticker craze that prevented me from buying unedited cool music as a child.
4. Kiss--A masterclass in muted restraint, this song is just cool as hell.
5. When You Were Mine--An example that Prince wrote great pop/rock songs as well as funk/electro/R&B music.
6. If I Was Your Girlfriend--A gender-bending ballad that best represents Prince's edgy sexuality.
7. Little Red Corvette--Prince could make any song his own.
8. Best of You--A Foo Fighter's tune that Prince covered during his Super Bowl Halftime Show, I prefer this version to the original.