Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Weightlifting: Observations on Lifting While Lean

 

This is what it feels like sometimes.

After slimming down from about 200 lbs to 185 lbs, I've got a couple months of training under my belt at my new weight. Here's what I've learned:

I've lost a lot of strength--I've went from bench pressing 250 lbs for 8 reps to benching 250 lbs for 2 reps. I've yet to deadlift 405, although I did do 315 for 10 last Friday, so I think that's in the bag. As far as the squat goes, I've been squatting utilizing a high bar beltless style which is the hardest way to back squat, so any prospective strength loss in that lift hasn't really been noticed. I'm still trying to increase my main lifts, but I'm also doing a lot of bodybuilding work, and I've really been paying attention to my squat form, which means using pretty light weights. Just don't expect to lose weight and maintain strength.

I feel a lot better being lighter. I recover better. I move better. I sleep better. This is why I'll probably stay at this weight. The health benefits are undeniable--my blood pressure is in the 110's now. It's also nice seeing my abs, I'll admit.

Maintaining my weight is easier than losing it was. I went on a pretty strict diet for my initial weight loss. Tried to stay away from processed carbs, cut out snacks, hardly drank any alcohol. I've really loosened up on this now. I've been keeping my alcohol consumption closer to 7 drinks a week as opposed to the 4 I aimed for at the start, and I'll enjoy a junk food snack every now and then. I'll still have good days where I'll eat only about three meals or so and not drink, but there are less of those days than there are ones where I indulge. My high activity level probably helps a lot, since I'm in the middle of my harvest season.

Bodybuilding training is more sustainable. Although I did perform that 315 for 10 deadlift set last week (A PR attempt--17 is my record for 315), I've mostly been sticking in the rep range of 8 to 12, with one day for the squat and deadlift where I'll work up to a heavy double or single. Just using a weight and smashing out clean reps in a lift, like say 135 lbs for two sets of 12 in the barbell row, results in hypertrophy without excessive soreness or fatigue. I'm 39 now, not 29. Although recovery has improved since my weight loss, I can't do the marathon heavy training sessions anymore, due to my age and lightness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Video Game Review: Black Myth: Wukong

  Black Myth:Wukong is this year's Jedi Survivor. It's a souls-lite with stunning graphics and compelling exploration that'll ch...