Friday, July 12, 2024

I Was Wrong about Game Pass

 

The Callisto Protocol, what I'm currently playing on Game Pass.

Back in February, I wrote a post about the questionable value of X Box Game Pass. My argument was that the sheer volume of titles available through Game Pass encouraged sampling and premature abandonment of many games that the subscriber may have finished if they had spent more than the 18 bucks Game Pass Ultimate costs monthly. While I certainly tried many games and abandoned them (Cocoon, Diablo 4, and Lords of the Fallen come to mind), I completed or spent over ten hours with the following: Sunset Overdrive, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Lies of P, Dead Island 2, Vampire Survivor, Evil West, Doom 2, Warhammer 40,000 Boltgun, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, and Still Wakes the Deep. Below I have what the aforementioned titles would cost on Steam:

Resident Evil 2=39.99

Sunset Overdrive=19.99

Lies of P=35.99

Dead Island 2=59.99 (PC, not X Box)

Vampire Survivor=4.99

Evil West=17.49 (on sale, regularly 49.99)

Doom 2=4.99

Warhammer 40,000:Boltgun=21.99

Senu’s Saga: Hellblade 2=49.99

Gears of War Ultimate Edition=not on Steam

Still Wakes the Deep=34.99

Total=290.04

 

I ended up only paying 54.54 for 7 months of Game Pass, due to a gift card and Microsoft Rewards points, which can be redeemed for a month of Game Pass Ultimate. You have to do quests, most of which are simple (Play Game Pass on PC; Earn an Achievement) and are earned easily if you play Game Pass frequently. Had I not had a gift card or done any quests, the total for 7 months of Game Pass is 127.26, still 162.78 dollars cheaper than buying all of those games on Steam. Sure, some of those titles probably went on sale the last few months, but I strongly doubt you would've saved 162 bucks. Something I haven't even mentioned is that my son also plays on my X Box account, albeit on an actual X Box (I use my PC). He gets about an hour or so of video game time a day, and he's played games such as Super Mega Baseball 3, Roboquest, Brotato, Plants versus Zombies: Garden Warfare, and MLB: The Show as well as countless others. For a multigaming household, the value is undeniable. One thing to mention is that Microsoft is making Game Pass more expensive, with only the Ultimate tier getting same day releases on console (PC Game Pass still gets them), while costing two more dollars a month (18 to 20). I think I might opt out of my subscription come August, since nothing is really on my radar, and God of War: Ragnarok is coming out in September (not on Game Pass). But for a hardcore gamer in a multigaming household, Game Pass is still an incredible deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Video Game Review: Black Myth: Wukong

  Black Myth:Wukong is this year's Jedi Survivor. It's a souls-lite with stunning graphics and compelling exploration that'll ch...