Sunday, June 9, 2024

New Music: Sunny Afternoon

 

The Kinks were one of the greatest band in rock 'n' roll history, but I've always felt that they don't have the same reputation as the Beatles or Rolling Stones on this side of the pond. Sunny Afternoon has a music hall vibe and a rich protagonist bemoaning his tax rate, something the Beatles also were concerned about. It's a great pop song, with its memorably sinister descending D minor figure that features a brief bit of chromaticism (C to B to B flat). I do my best to cover it, in the interest of fun. I'd like to do more covers, but there's always the issue of can you make it better or different than the original? Otherwise, why cover a song? (There's that fun thing I mentioned).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Video Game Review: Black Myth: Wukong

  Black Myth:Wukong is this year's Jedi Survivor. It's a souls-lite with stunning graphics and compelling exploration that'll ch...