Friday, January 5, 2018

What I Learned about Weightlifting in 2017

Yes, it's true: if your arms get big enough, you will grow a second brain inside them.

I had two big lifting goals for 2017: to deadlift 600 lbs and to military press 225. I didn't hit either of them! But I did bench press 300 lbs at 197 lbs, which was a personal record. And I learned some stuff too, which should help my progress in the future. Here's what I learned.

1. Periodization probably isn't necessary for anybody but elite lifters. I did block periodization for most of the year, focusing on the powerlifts. I ended up with an SI joint injury that prevents me from squatting heavy to this day, as well as no increase in my bench press. Disappointed, I started benching four days a week, maxing out in two of those workouts. After two months, I hit a 10 lbs PR on Christmas day, 300 lbs at 197 lbs bodyweight. Since then, I've sworn off programs and more or less just lifted how I feel daily. Do I try to increase my weights? Sure, on a good day, and I do the same with volume, but I'm done messing with percentages. I think that shit is a waste of time.

2. You have to do arms to get bigger arms. Let's stop pretending that everybody who lifts doesn't want bigger arms. I've never done much for arms besides pressing and curls every once in a blue moon, but after hurting my back, I did upper body four times a week because I couldn't load my legs very heavy. In addition to pressing four times a week, I did 4 sets of 10-12 repetitions of curls and pressdowns twice weekly. My arms responded by finally growing bigger than 16 inches. Turns out the bros were right.

3. Don't try to train through a painful injury. I can't remember exactly what date I hurt my SI joint, but I know I tried squatting and deadlifting for at least two months afterwards, which only exacerbated the situation. I've given myself a good two months off from heavy lower body training, and now I'm starting to front squat, starting very light with the plan of increasing my weights slowly. Most of this shit is common since, but if you're addicted to lifting like I am, it's hard to make yourself stop.

4. Protein powder is a waste of money. Supplements really are useless, unless you're buying steroids. Protein powder costs way too much, and you're really better off just eating more meat and eggs rather than trusting some supplement manufacturer who is probably lying about what's in your Muscle Milk. I bought the good stuff at GNC for a couple months with no noticeable improvements. Don't waste your cash.

5. The military press doesn't aid your bench press substantially. At least, it didn't for me. I forewent military pressing for a couple months, replacing those pressing days with more benching, and lo and behold, my bench press went up. Your front deltoids get plenty of work from benching, and throw in some side laterals for the medial delts, and you're good, assuming you're doing back work.

And that's all I learned during 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Conan Brothers Q&A

  RedditUser1324 asks "WTF am I even doing? I spend all my time consuming vapid content on social media platforms while my own creative...